Welcome to the first grade!
First Grade At a Glance
It is our pleasure to welcome you to your child’s classroom and to Pleasantdale Elementary. As partners in education, our goal is to share expectations, policies and routines to encourage the home-school connection.
- Take home folder-Contains all homework and notes going home. Parents should check the folder everyday. Completed homework is returned in the take home folder.
- All first graders will have homework. Each classroom teacher decides when homework is needed and what is appropriate.
- Talk to your child each day about homework assignments; go over work; see if it’s completed; ask questions about it. However, do not do your child’s homework.
- When no homework is given, spend time reading for pleasure and or practicing correct letter formation for handwriting. You may begin flash card drills for addition and subtraction to develop daily study habits.
- Parents should discuss assignments, give help as needed, and check work for accuracy. To help develop organizational skills, work with your child to remove completed/corrected work from the folder on a daily basis.
- Provide a suitable environment for study.
- Establish rules and routines in your home.
- Give praise and continual encouragement.
First Grade Links:
Language Arts Outline
Math Topics for the Year
Check out our new Orton Gillingham page!